Procurement Sourcing Director - Medical / Clinical
Salary: £70000 per annum
Location: Burton upon Trent
Job Type: Permanent
Job Ref: 123104048
Sourcing Director – Medical / Clinical
Burton Upon Trent, travel to other company offices as required (potential for some remote working long term, COVID safe while required)
Up to £70k plus discretionary bonus
The organisation is a provider of vendor-neutral, flexible, scalable managed services to the NHS, Health Boards and private healthcare organisations in the UK and Europe and to the wider public sector in the UK. The business provides its clients with a choice of supplier; choice of equipment; and choice of service, which enables resolution to their challenges using best in class commercial solutions and technology.
In the role, reporting to the Managing Director and Chief Executive, you will lead the strategic sourcing and contract management processes for all medical categories for the business which include pathology, surgery, point of care, imaging, cardiology, endoscopy and renal. You will lead a small team of currently up to 5 Category Managers across medical categories making it essential you have prior experience of medial categories and also NHS culture and frameworks (10 Towers).
You will take the lead in establishing the strategic approach and direction for all related sub category areas across sourcing and contract management and ensure that these are properly contracted. You will liaise with all stakeholders to ensure requirements are met and manage the delivery of the required contractual conditions through the team. Proactively managing the supply base to deliver key business objectives across service, value and the achievement of financial benefit while ensuring the function is fit to deliver both current and future customer needs.
Key accountabilities include but are not limited to:
• Assume overall responsibility for the development of the categories and delivery of
required business objectives.
• To liaise with all stakeholders to ensure that requirements are understood and that all
related category data is accurate.
• Undertake strategic sourcing activities in line with business practice ensuring that these
are undertaken with due regard to business policy and legal requirements.
• Develop category supply strategies that are aimed at delivering key business objectives
while satisfying the operational needs of stakeholders.
• Deliver contractual relationships on behalf of stakeholders that meet business
objectives and operational requirements.
• Proactively manage the supply base to ensure that appropriate relationships and
contractual relationships are in place at all times.
• Undertake supply market research to ensure that the required participants and
products/ services are continually in scope.
• Undertake financial analysis to ensure that best value is achieved at all times.
• Proactively manage the post-contractual environment
• Support the adoption of contracts in all relevant circumstances.
• Manage category teams as appropriate to ensure delivery of the above.
• Meet business contractual, savings and participation objectives are met on a continual
basis. Where these are not being met, provide and deliver a plan to meet said
• To manage risks and conflicts to derive benefits for both public and private customers
• Work with account management colleagues to achieve all contract compliance and
• To assume overall responsibility for the creation and execution of the category specific
• Develop and deliver a procurement Strategy across the sourcing activity to deliver the
target benefits and financial savings including approving each category managers
purchase category strategy and savings plans
• Engage support and agreement for the strategy from key stakeholders so that
implementation and compliance are optimal.
• Establish new processes and systems for effective procurement across sourcing to best
practice benchmarks; investigate opportunities for broader savings
• Provide specialist advice, guidance and service on leading practice procurement; take
the lead in identification, assessment and management of potential risks associate with
differing sourcing strategies; provide insight through the analysis of spend, supply
markets and savings.
• Define and manage key supplier relationships to deliver breakthrough performance in
cost, service and quality, including technical input to negotiations on strategically
significant contracts and negotiation and management of third party service providers.
• Develop and agree annual departmental cost savings targets for the annual budget
process; develop and agree the annual procurement plan with directors and
• Develop a savings reporting mechanism with finance which is understood and accepted
by the user departments. Produce regular reports on performance and provide
comprehensive management information and in-depth analysis when requested
including spend analysis, savings secured and potential savings – for forecast and
The ideal candidate:
• Ideally degree qualified supported by MCIPS
• Proficiency ERP, CRM and MRP systems would be an advantage.
• “Cloud” and other digital data storage systems.
• Knowledge of pan European Procurement practice is desirable.
• Effective stakeholder management (internal and external)
• Ability to coach and develop people effectively.
• Ability to analyse, evaluate and recommend on risk at strategies level.
• Ability to negotiate at the highest levels with suppliers.
• A good technical appreciation of the range of procurement categories
• Category Management experience in medical areas.
• Managing workload within a complex environment with shifting priorities and
For more information or to apply please click the apply now button to submit your CV to Procurement People, part of the Executive Network Group.