Category Manager - Machining
Salary: £48000 - £55000 per annum
Job Type: Permanent
Job Ref: 123103794
Category Manager (Machining)
Up to £55k
The Business, a true global leader in the Defence sector, number 1 in Europe and boasting revenue of over £3b and employing over 10,000 people. We are looking to appoint a Category Manager for the machining category due to growth and to support the essential work delivered by a global Procurement and Supply Chain function responsible for procuring and managing the supply chain for direct and indirect products and services for both projects and the business. The total spend is approximately €500M per year across a European supply chain.
An opportunity has arisen for Category Manager to join developing and changing procurement team. The primary focus tor the role is to develop the business machining strategy and to provide on-going maintenance of the Strategy to meet the business Supply Chain needs. You will be the Category Manager for Machining within the company mechanical domain. Working to develop and maintain the UK machining strategy, procurement, supply chain and the related procurement activities. The role will see you involved across product lifecycle from Development/Engineering through to volume Manufacturing.
This is a great opportunity to work with an international team while taking control and responsibility for the UK strategic approach to the machining category.
What will you be doing?
• Supporting the development & implementation of the UK Machining Category strategies, pro-actively providing accountability along with ideas and solutions.
• Leading negotiations with suppliers to optimise cost, delivery and quality of products.
• Taking active participation, in multifunctional and international teams, to support definition and negotiation strategies for specific machining categories and/or projects. Leading national multi-functional teams as required.
• Managing suppliers and, where necessary, building up longer-term supplier management expectations.
• Contributing to managing supplier performance in support of the Supply Chain Managers Operational targets.
• Building strong relationships with Internal customers in order to effectively serve their needs, often with shorter than expected timescales.
• Actively supporting functional excellence programmes, identifying and developing areas for improvement where new processes may be required.
• Providing and sometimes presenting briefs and reports for Senior Management reviews including potential issues/risks.
• Identifying & securing savings opportunities to the benefit of MBDA competitiveness.
• Raising & negotiating contract documents.
• Raising, maintaining and managing Request for Quotations, Purchase Orders and outstanding order books in an effective and timely manner
What are we looking for?
• Degree/HND or similar with significant experience working in defence/Aerospace/Automotive industries,
• Category Management Knowledge & experience.
• Strong understanding of the business and technical requirements related to Machining industry.
• Knowledge of Mechanical technologies e.g. Standard & Precision Machining (Preferred) Other technology experience is useful; (Areas: Fabrication, Forgings, Ball Screws, Bearings, Optics, Composites, ALM and Standard Components etc.)
• Effective understanding of technical queries with the ability to liaise between suppliers and customers.
• Good understanding of cost make up and industry drivers.
• Strong team and facilitation skills.
• Strong communication skills. (Capable of communicating cross functionally and at all levels; internal/Suppliers)
• Excellent negotiation skills.
• Excellent influencing skills.
• A proactive & flexible approach to plan and meet demanding deadlines.
What would you get?
Competitive salary, flexible working, a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level) and superb learning and development opportunities.
Please Note: We require all employees to achieve and maintain SC security clearance or above without restrictions that will inhibit the individual's ability to fulfil the requirements of the role. Your eligibility for the appropriate level of security clearance may be discussed with you during the recruitment process. Any existing clearance holders may be able to transfer clearance (subject to approval).
For more information please click the apply now button to submit your CV to Phil Bloomer of Procurement People.